Monday, April 5, 2010

God gave me you ....

You know the song ... God gave me you for the ups & downs .... for the days of doubt.  I hear it in the first 5 songs just about every time I turn on the radio.  Its a man singing to his wife - partner for life - and thanking God for her.

As a single you'd think I'd run screaming from the room every time it starts to play.  It would be hard to do when I'm in the car, but I could find a way to do it if I set my mind to it.  I don't have my "you", God has't given him, and a reminder of that (most often many times during the day) is not something I really want to hear. 

But what I find myself thinking about is the "you"s I do have in my life. 

While I may not have a husband, I do have 2 great kids.  Those "you"s keep me going on days when I might not want to even get out of bed.

I think of some of my dearest girlfriends - the ones I run to when I have a "grown up" problem, when everything God has taught me and brought me through in the last 10 years threathens to jump out the window.  When the evil twin that I once was rears her ugly head and tries to exert dominance over my actions.

I think of my church family.  I know if there is a need that is beyond me someone from church would be there to help out - from moving furniture to fixing my lawn mower.

I may not have the "you" described in the song, but I have many "you"s who do the same thing ... even out the ups & downs, carry me through the days of doubt.

And when I think I've lost my way, they are there to guide me back.

Who are the "you"s in your life?

No comments: